After successful job hunting, students are required to change their status of residence (visa) from “Student” to relevant working visa. The most common visa is for “Engineer/ Specialist in Humanities/ International Services”.
In case of students changing their visa to “Engineer/ Specialist in Humanities/ International Services” visa, it is necessary to meet following requirements.
1. Limited to cases of engaging in the activities pertaining to the status of residence based on a contract with a public or private organization in Japan
“A public or private organization” includes Japanese/foreign companies, national/local/foreign governments, and public interest corporations approved by the national or local governments of Japan as well as individuals, which has their head/branch/representative office in Japan.
“Contract” means not limited to “employment”, but it must be continuous.
2. Activities to engage in services requires knowledge or skills in the field of natural sciences or humanities
Which means unskilled labor (regular basis) is basically not acceptable.
3. Graduated from university, having majored in a subject relating to the skills or knowledge, or has acquired an education equivalent thereto.
In case of technical college graduates, they has completed a specialized course of study at a vocational school in Japan, majoring in a subject relating to the skills or knowledge (limited to cases where the applicant has fulfilled the requirements designated in a public notice by the Minister of Justice relating to the completion).
4. Receives no less remuneration than would a Japanese national for comparable work.
5. Behavior and conduct must be good
6. Never sentenced to a fine or imprisonment
7. Fulfills public duties
Such as tax payment, social security payment, change of address/job notification, etc.