Design a site like this with
Get started

Is it possible to do a freelance work while staying in Japan on student visa?

According to the Immigration Services Agency “If a foreign national (i.e. oversea students) intends to engage in an activity to operate profit-making businesses or an activity for receiving consideration other than the activity permitted under his/her status of residence, he/she must obtain permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted, in advance.”

“To engage in an activity to operate profit-making business” includes “freelancing” according to the officer in charge of student visa at the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau.

But, still need to seek a permission from a regional immigration bureau…

They also advised that it is necessary to consult with a regional immigration bureau on a permission of doing freelance work in advance.

They will determine whether they grant a permission or not based on a detail of freelance work provided by applicant (oversea student).

It is essential to meet basic criteria such as engaging in the activity for not more than 28 hours a week and no amusement and entertainment business.

Hence it is necessary to prepare written documents explaining a detail of freelance work and not to violate basic requirements above-mentioned.

For inquiry to Visa and Beyond by Takatsuka Office, please send a message through a contact page.

Published by Takatsuka Office たかつか事務所

Yuichi is an Administrative Solicitor (“Gyoseishoshi Lawyer”) as well as a Registered Migration Agent. オーストラリアから帰国後、「街の身近な法律家×国際人」として地域の皆様の力になりたいとの思いより、JR南浦和駅近くに行政書士事務所を開いた高塚雄一です。

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: