Design a site like this with
Get started

To extend your stay in Japan with your current visa (status of residence), you need to apply for “Extension of Periods of Stay” before your current visa is expired.

Mid-long term residents may be submitted from around 3 months before the expiration date of the period of stay.

So what happens if my visa expiry day comes while my application for “Extension of Period of Stay” is still in process?

If you apply for an extension before your visa expiry and no decision has been made by the expiration date, generally speaking, you can stay in Japan under the current visa until a decision is made by the immigration official.

Otherwise, you are allowed to stay in Japan for another 2 months from the original expiration date.

In general, immigration officials will make effort to conclude an application process within 2 months extension period. However, if an applicant fails to visit the regional immigration bureau immediate after a notification letter from them arrives (i.e. a week), he/she will become an overstayer no matter what his/her application outcome is.

For inquiry to Visa and Beyond by Takatsuka Office, please send a message through a contact page.

Published by Takatsuka Office たかつか事務所

Yuichi is an Administrative Solicitor (“Gyoseishoshi Lawyer”) as well as a Registered Migration Agent. オーストラリアから帰国後、「街の身近な法律家×国際人」として地域の皆様の力になりたいとの思いより、JR南浦和駅近くに行政書士事務所を開いた高塚雄一です。

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: