Design a site like this with
Get started

What should I do if I become a freelancer with few business contracts while I still have a valid working visa which was granted when I was full-time employee?

First of all, according to the immigration services agency official, some visas (status of residences) are not exclusive to full-time employees (some people says this is a de facto “self-sponsor visa”).

Whether a full-time employee or freelancer, it is essential to notify a job change to the Minister of Justice (i.e. the regional immigration bureau) within 14 days. This procedure is called “Notification on the contracting organization”.

Instead of providing information about new employer, it is essential to provide a detail of each new business contract in case of freelancer.

If you have a business contract with multiple organizations, you need to submit a notification for each contract. You need to notify when you sign a new business contract. In addition, it is essential to provide a detail of organization as well as an activity under new contract with them. Likewise every time your existing contract ends, you need to notify too.

Your current visa will be valid as long as your freelance activity stay the same as an activity permitted under a current visa.

For inquiry to Visa and Beyond by Takatsuka Office, please send a message through a contact page.

Published by Takatsuka Office たかつか事務所

Yuichi is an Administrative Solicitor (“Gyoseishoshi Lawyer”) as well as a Registered Migration Agent. オーストラリアから帰国後、「街の身近な法律家×国際人」として地域の皆様の力になりたいとの思いより、JR南浦和駅近くに行政書士事務所を開いた高塚雄一です。

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: