According to the Immigration Services Agency “If a foreign national intends to engage in an activity to operate profit-making businesses or an activity for receiving consideration other than the activity permitted under his/her status of residence, he/she must obtain permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted, in advance.”
To apply this permission, a foreign national needs to submit a document material that proves the intended activity as indicated on the application.
However, some foreigners (e.g. those who stays in Japan with the status of residence of “Student” or “Dependent”) can be granted “Comprehensive permission”. In this case, the foreign national is allowed to work up to 28 hours a week but not allowed to work at any adult-entertainment business. Hence no need to submit a document material that proves the intended activity as indicated on the application.
In case of a foreign national with the status of residence of “Student” engages in an activity to assist education or research at the university or college of technology he/she is enrolled in, it is unnecessary to obtain permission.
In case of a foreign national with status of residence of “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services” and working as Interpreter during weekday wishes to start a side job on weekend, he/she doesn’t need to obtain a permission if he/she works as Interpreter, but he/she needs to obtain a permission for teaching a language.
Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted
When to submit
When the foreign national intends to run business or engage in an activity that will yields remuneration that does not permitted with the applicant’s current status of residence
How to submit
Applicant must fill in necessary application forms, make ready attached documents and submit a service counter at regional immigration office.
Who may submit
2. The following persons may complete the application procedure (submit the passport, residence card and application form, etc.) in lieu of the applicant.
(1) The legal representative of the applicant
(2) A member of staff of the accepting institution, etc. or of a public interest corporation whom the director of the regional immigration bureau deems to be appropriate (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
(3) An attorney or administrative scrivener who has given notification, via the bar association or administrative scriveners’ association to which he or she belongs, to the director of the regional immigration bureau which has jurisdiction over the area where such bar association or administrative scriveners’ association is located (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
Free of charge
1. Application form 1copy
2. A document material that proves the intended activity as indicated on the application form 1copy
3. Passport and residence card
(or alien registration certificate deemed equivalent to a residence card)
4. A document that proves the status
(if an agent submits the application form on behalf of the applicant)
(Note 1) The immigration bureau accepts this format if you print it out on Japanese Industrial Standards A4 format.
(Note 2) You sometimes print it out on a smaller format than A4. To avoid it, please turn off “Shrink Oversized Pages to Paper Size (K)” in the print dialogue box.
Where to submit
The regional immigration office in charge of applicant’s address (Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
The intended activity does not interfere with the activity permitted with the current status of residence and is regarded as appropriate.
Standard procedures duration
Two weeks to two months
(source: Immigration Services Agency)