Applicant must fill in necessary application forms, make ready attached documents and submit a service counter at regional immigration office.
In addition, it is necessary to give the notification of moving out under the Act of the Basic Resident Registers at the municipal office.
Application for Re-entry Permit
When to submit
Up until the applicant leaves Japan
Who may submit
“Applicant” or the following persons may complete the application procedure (submit the passport, residence card and application form, etc.) in lieu of the applicant.
- The legal representative of the applicant
- A member of staff of the accepting institution, etc. or of a public interest corporation whom the director of the regional immigration bureau deems to be appropriate (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
- An attorney or administrative scrivener who has given notification, via the bar association or administrative scriveners’ association to which he or she belongs, to the director of the regional immigration bureau which has jurisdiction over the area where such bar association or administrative scriveners’ association is located (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
- A relative of the applicant, a person living together with the applicant or an equivalent person, whom the director of the regional bureau deems respectively to be appropriate (in cases where the applicant is under the age of 16 years, suffers from an illness or owing to other grounds).
- A travel agent whom the director of the regional immigration bureau deems to be appropriate (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
3,000 yen for single permit or 6,000 yen for multiple permit (Payment must be made with revenue stamps)
- Application form 1copy
- Passport and residence card (or alien registration certificate deemed equivalent to a residence card)
- A document that proves the status (if a legal representative or agent submits the application form on behalf of the applicant)
Application for Re-entry Permit [PDF] [EXCEL]
(Note 1) The immigration bureau accepts this format if you print it out on Japanese Industrial Standards A4 format.
(Note 2) You sometimes print it out on a smaller format than A4. To avoid it, please turn off “Shrink Oversized Pages to Paper Size (K)” in the print dialogue box.
Where to submit
The regional immigration office in charge of applicant’s intended address (Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
Standard procedures duration
On the day of application
(source: Immigration Services Agency of Japan)